Getting married in Florida? It’s easy and there are very few requirements even when you are coming from out of state, or another country. Every couple who wants to be married in the state of Florida must apply for a marriage license. You must be 18 years of age and no blood tests are required. If you live in Florida, there is a 3 day waiting period, however, those who have completed a premarital preparation course and can provide completion certificates will have this waiting period waived. Same sex marriage is legal in the state of Florida.
How much is a marriage license in Florida?
The fee for a marriage license is $86.50. Your Florida marriage license is NOT INCLUDED in any of our wedding packages. This is because the bride and groom/partner must obtain their own marriage license, and follow all Florida license requirements listed. We are not allowed to get your marriage license for you but as your Officiant we will sign it and send it in to the appropriate court on your behalf to be registered in the official records. We do this within 10 days of your ceremony. So don’t forget to bring it with you to your beach ceremony! The Clerk’s office will then mail you a certified copy of your marriage certificate. This can take up to 4 weeks, although many couples receive it sooner.
Florida marriage license requirements:
- With a Florida marriage you can get married on any beach you choose! The license may be obtained from any county in the State of Florida (regardless of where you live or where you are getting married), and may be used to be married in any county within Florida. Your Florida Beach Weddings Officiant will turn it into the correct county for you after the ceremony (if you used our Officiant).
- Out-of-state residents can obtain a license the same day: just ensure you visit the courthouse during their working hours, which is weekdays, usually 8:30 am to 5 pm. They will be closed weekends and holidays.
- All couples can begin their marriage application online before visiting the Clerk and Comptroller’s office. This means you can apply from the convenience of your home, anywhere in the world, and anytime of the day or night that suits you.
- There are also services that can help you obtain your marriage license by mail.
- Your marriage license is valid for 60 days after issuance so with good planning you can tie the knot in Florida with the beautiful ceremony you want!
- Photo ID (Driver’s License, Passport or State ID/Military ID with picture). You do NOT have to be a U.S. citizen.
- Both parties must be prepared to give their Social Security number.
- If you live in Florida, both parties are to appear in the Clerk’s Office and sign the application.
- If you live in Florida, there is a 3 day waiting period. This applies even if only one person is a resident of Florida.
- Florida residents who have completed a premarital preparation course and can provide completion certificates pay a reduced fee of $61.00 and the three (3) day waiting period will be waived.
- If you have been married before, you will need the exact date your previous marriage ended, whether by death, divorce, or annulment. No copies are needed, just the date.
- For couples from out of state or traveling internationally there is no waiting period. Just make sure you have your valid ID.
- Gay weddings and lesbian weddings are legally recognized in Florida.
- You do NOT need a marriage license to renew your vows.
Other fees to get married in Florida may include:
- Permits to get married on the beach of your choice, if applicable
- Some areas have parking fees or metered parking
Now that you know how to get married in Florida, get ready to book your date!