Congratulations on your engagement!! So, once the “engagement honeymoon” is over, it’s time for wedding planning to get real! Destination and ordinary in-town weddings follow many of the same milestones. However, don’t overlook these seemingly minor differences. Check out this 12 month destination wedding timeline to keep your destination beach wedding smooth sailing!
Destination Wedding Timeline:
12 or more months before:
- Plan your budget. Major things to consider for destination weddings:
- Flight/Gas for travel – air travel or car trips
- Ask yourself: Where is the best honeymoon destination for us? The same place as your wedding or will you travel somewhere else? In Florida, the answer is easy: stay and enjoy the beaches whether it is just the two of you or guests, Florida is a great vacation spot for families!
- Time of year to have your wedding: thinking of getting married in summer in Florida? Check out some temperature charts on our pages here: Clearwater , Daytona Beach, Destin Beach and St. Augustine
- Hotel Accommodations (see our posts on Daytona Beach Hotel Accommodations here, Siesta Key, St. Augustine, Clearwater, Destin Beach)
- Wedding Dress for a sun and sea beach wedding and groom attire
- Wedding Ceremony arrangements (check out these affordable all inclusive wedding packages)
- Guest list– plan your guest list and notify guests ASAP with a “save the date”. Give friends and family ample time to save and plan for your amazing wedding adventure! Check out The Knot’s free “Guest List Tool” to stay organized and save money. Start your own free wedding website to help you stay organized.
- Ask the bridal party to be a part of your wedding. Bridesmaids get ready!
8-11 months before:
- Dress time- Shop for and order your wedding gown for a white sand wedding. Tips here!
- Hotel booking- If you have a large group, inquire about a group discount/blocking rooms.
- Book flight/Car rental- Encourage your bridal party to make arrangements as well.
- Book wedding- With Florida Beach Weddings company, this makes long distance planning a sea breeze. We provide everything you need for your elegant beach wedding so you don’t have to lift a finger on your special day. One. Stop. Shop. Save time and money by avoiding multiple vendors, fees, complications, etc. Check out these complete package options.
- Plan post-wedding ceremony plans. Dinner? Happy hour? Full wedding reception? Night on the town?
- Choose colors– Deciding this early will guide you with ceremony decor choices, bridesmaid dresses, favors, etc. Furthermore, it’s fun!
- Save-the-Date Cards– Order and mail.
- Create a registry– Happy Shopping!
6-8 months before:
- Bridesmaids dresses/Groom attire– Choose and order according to your elegant beach wedding package colors.
- Research activities- What will you and your guests be doing during the “down time” before and after your wedding day?
4-6 months before:
- Invitations: Order/Create and send. You can choose a traditional paper invite or save money on a small wedding by using an e-version like one from evite.
- Wedding rings– Shop, buy, size, and keep them in an unforgettably safe place.
- Confirm travel plans/required documents if necessary.
- ****Florida Marriage License****– Your wedding dream is unofficial without one of these. More information here.
2-4 months before:
- Plan itinerary for length of destination stay. While you can be flexible, it’s still a good idea to have a plan. Consider a timetable for both leisure activities before and after wedding day, as well as day-of wedding schedule (hair, travel time, etc.). Florida Beach Weddings provides you with a detailed timeline of your wedding day for less stress!
- Schedule hair/make up appointments as needed. Be sure to be very clear with time management and remember to prepare for a beach-friendly hairstyle.
- Welcome! If you have guests traveling, a Welcome Bag is always a thoughtful way to share the wedding love! Order items/prepare bags.
- Write vows. Florida Beach Weddings provides ceremony vow options, but you may add your own personal vows if desired for a perfect wedding day.
- Finalize plans. Look for emails from Florida Beach Weddings with detailed destination wedding timeline. Communicate with your guests and wedding party directions/timelines as needed. So this is the time to answer any last minute questions between planner, bridal party, and guests. Designate a “guest” helper for the ceremony (so it doesn’t have to be you).
- Final fitting- Any alterations/changes should be wrapped up. Purchase/bring a steamer or make plans for professional steaming through a local laundromat upon arriving your destination wedding location. In addition, consider bridesmaids dresses as well.
Week of: Confirmation is the name of the game!
- Confirm any appointments– hair, make up, mani/pedi, wedding dress steaming.
- Groom/groomsmen- Confirm attire/pick up arrangements.
- Review day-of itinerary (provided by your beach wedding company)
- Distribute welcome bags.
DAY OF! It’s shhhhhhow time!
If you’ve hired “Florida Beach Weddings,” the only thing you really need to do is show up. Go to any appointments and show up to your favorite part of your wedding day: the beach ceremony site! Most of all, don’t forget to bring the rings and marriage license! Happy Wedding Day! Still have questions about a destination beach wedding? Check out our FAQ page!