Your friends are getting married on the beach and you’ve been invited. What do you wear to a beach wedding? You may be asking yourself this question, especially if you have never been to a beach wedding before.
Beach weddings have an aesthetic all their own. You will not be in a church, so formal attire is out. More casual, comfortable clothing would seem to be the norm. But how can one be casual without being cavalier? In answering the question: What do people wear to beach weddings, we explore clothing options that will fit with the beach theme.
- Cool, comfortable, and loose fitting. Summertime is when most beach weddings will happen. Summer is usually hot. Therefore, wear a sundress as opposed to a heavier fabric. Chiffon dresses are elegant but can be worn in a semi-formal or a casual atmosphere.
- Think colorfully. When people think of beach weddings, they think of the ocean, sun, and cool breezes. Tropical and exotic are good beach wedding themes. Pastels, such as pink and peach work well, and yellows and light greens will give your outfit an islander feel. Floral prints and the blues and greens of the ocean will fit tropical and exotic themed beach wedding.
- Long and flowing. Maxi dresses are a good choice for beach weddings. From strapless to one shoulder, or off the shoulder completely, these long, flowing dresses will keep you cool and make you look and feel beautiful.
- Jewelry. Islands are homes to treasure in literature and mythology, so why not don a gold bracelet or a colorful beaded anklet for the upcoming beach wedding? Jewelry can add a nice formalizing touch without formal pretensions.
- Wrap yourself. Beach weddings, since they are near the ocean, bring abundant breezes. A wrap is a good choice to protect from the sun and wind, but it will keep you layered in a cool fashion. Along with a lotion with UV protection, sunglasses, and a wide-brimmed hat will keep you from the agony of sunburn, if your friend’s wedding is midday.
- Wear sandals. Sand and sandals go together like peanut butter and jelly. The open-toed look is appropriate and comfortable for a summertime oceanside wedding. You can wear glittery sandals if you want more than a strict beach look. The rays of the sun will make your footwear sparkle. You can wear low wedge sandals if you want to add height without the pretension of high heels.
- Hair and makeup. Brides should schedule 2 hours minimum for hair on their wedding day. You do not have to go to these lengths, but you will want to spend time fixing your hair for the beach wedding ceremony.
- Hair and makeup are not clothing, however, how could we forget your most important feature, your lovely face! Beach destination weddings have a feel of naturalness, so don’t wear too much makeup or wear your hair as you would in a high-church, formal wedding. You can wear your hair up or down, however, the main thing is to not apply too much hairspray or a stiff gel that will subtract from a soft, natural feel. You wear makeup that makes you feel pretty and presentable, however, a beach wedding with ocean breezes and bright sunshine will highlight a “less is more” aesthetic.
So, whether you are planning a beach wedding or simply attending one, you have some tips on dressing appropriately, comfortably, and with flair.