Bride Guide: Choosing a Beach Wedding Dress
You know the tune, “Here comes the bride all dressed in….see through!?!” Wait, what? Your beach wedding dress should have guests dropping their jaws at your beauty and elegance. However, jaw drops should NOT be due to the fact you look like you’re auditioning for a Victoria Secret lingerie photo shoot or because of the amount of sweat pouring down your body. After many years of operating a wedding store, we want to help guide you in choosing the perfect dress whether it’s magical mermaid, classic beauty, or boho chic style. So here are a few pointers for choosing the perfect beach wedding dress.
How to Choose the Perfect Beach Wedding Dress
- Material, girl: We’re not talking Madonna here, we’re talking fabric. Choose a breathable wedding dress made from fabrics like chiffon, cotton blends, or organza. And if you want one of those crazy sweat inducing wraps to shed those last few pre-wedding pounds, go for it. However, sweating off pounds in a satin suction cup dress while walking down the aisle is just a bad idea. Keep it cool and comfortable.
- Length: You may be thinking, warm, sunny weather hence a shorter dress. Well, that MAY be an option, but the sun isn’t the only factor to consider. While that sea breeze will keep you cool and relaxed, a swift breeze in a short dress could have your guests getting to know you in ways you didn’t expect. Beach brides may be afraid of “dirtying up” a floor length dress, but a little saltwater and sand is nothing a professional cleaning can’t take care of. In fact, many brides love to wade into the sea for a few stunning photos! If you’re set on avoiding a full length dress, above the knee and tea length are great options also.
- Stylin’: Choose a style that magnifies your natural beauty and is comfortable for you. You may choose to stick with your already non-traditional wedding theme and go with a flowing and mystical gown or opt for a classic, timeless look. Check out our Beach Wedding photo gallery below to get an idea of some beach wedding dresses.
- Trial: Lighting in a retail store provides a totally different effect from natural sunlight. Think you’ve found the perfect dress? Take a step outside in your dress to make sure it’s not see through. It’s also a good idea to take a couple of pictures in that natural light. Often the camera has some sort of tricky x-ray vision and without testing out the lighting and visibility, you could end up with some very revealing wedding photos.
- Underneath it all: Make sure to wear no show/seamless undergarments. Again, do a trial run. Get your whole ensemble together and step outside. Have a friend check front and back to make sure there are no see through surprises or funky strap lines. You can also add a personal touch with a fun garter.
- Coordinate with your decor: Don’t forget you can style your beach wedding package decor to match your bride and groom vibe! Tropical island mermaid or elegant, simple and neutral? We have the bamboo, flowers and draping for that. Floral or seashells? At Florida Beach Weddings company it’s your choice.
Beach Wedding Dress Gallery